Thursday, March 18, 2010

The expensive garden centre

We have cleaners come every other week on a Wednesday morning, it's easier all round if I make myself scarce. So I took a trip to the garden centre.

Unfortunately, if you put lots of plants together, there is a good chance I'm going to be allergic to one of them and even though I avoided the ones I know about, wandering around the undercover section got quite uncomfortable.

I know large pots are expensive, but looking at those prices is not something I want to do again in a hurry. I did discover a type I've not noticed before, they look fairly authentic and are some kind of rubbery material in a double layer, so they would probably be good insulators, they are also lighter weight than the ceramic equivalent. As it happened, none of the shapes they had particularly appealed, so it wasn't difficult to say no!

I did find a tall metal pot in the reduced section, looking like it would look in a year or so if we'd bought it full price, so at 70% off, I've given it a new home. I'm thinking of putting leeks in it, unless I think of something else that needs a particularly deep root before I actually put the leeks in it (I'd already chosen one small transplant).

I was happy to find a few plants that it's hard to start from seed, but aren't ones I could pick up for less in Fred Meyer or The Home Depot, I might not have been 100% accurate, but I don't want to have to make another trip up there in a hurry.

My big find was a compost aerator, we have two compost bins, I have a vague idea to use the older one of the two for potatoes, but I'm not quite sure what it's like at the bottom. I also saw pop up potato bags, which I plan to investigate more online. I love small new potatoes, particularly in salad and they are so much better fresh than from the supermarket, but the idea of growing them is also to spend less, not just enjoy them!

No comments: