Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Container gardens

I'm not exactly green fingered, but I will try my hand with a few seeds and stick a few plants in the ground. One of my regrets when leaving Cambridge was the blueberry bushes I had to leave behind. I'd put a fair bit of research into what to buy and what to plant it in, I'd had to learn about soil types and figure out what ours was. I'd even worked out the likely return to know that it wasn't a waste of money, it was a sad day when I hauled them into the boot of the car to gift them to a friend.

Now, we have a north facing sheltered deck, it's really not all that amenable to much growing, but the previous owner managed it and I've continued to dabble, with mixed sucess, but bad weather last winter, being pregnant, then having a newborn made last season a wash out, I didn't plant any annuals, but it looks like most perennials did actually make it and are now doing very confused after such a mild winter!

Pretty much everything I know about gardening comes from the back of a seed packet, which equates to not very much! So last week, I bought a gardening book, all about growing food in containers, so I'm trying to approach this season with a bit more strategy. I now know our hardiness zone, heat zone and the average dates of the last frost of spring and the first frost of autumn, so now I've just got to figure out what I want to grow and when and where to plant it.

My previous approach has been one type of plant per container, but I'm discovering that mixing it up is more visually pleasing, makes better use of space and certain things help each other along.

I've read the basics and vegetables are the next section, it's time to start making some decisions, it's too late for things that should be planted before the winter, but there are plenty of things that can cope with a possible late frost.

No comments: