Thursday, October 8, 2009

From one crisis to another

My psychiatrist changed my meds on Wednesday, from the SSRI Lexapro, to the SNRI Cymbalta.

Either it was a major coincidence, or I had a severe reaction to the drug, eventually leaving me completely paralised, not able to do anything, but give a slight squeeze of a hand, breath and in doing so make some attempts at sounds and also some eye movement.

Somehow, despite a doctor in the house, no one seemed to realise the seriousness of the situation and eventually it was a friend ringing and finding out that I couldn't talk that between them they managed to determine I needed help and it was going to have to be an ambulance to get me to the hospital.

The first thing the paramedics noticed were my pupils being extremely dilated. They also recorded my blood pressure as 150/100, I'd been 120/80 the day before. My BP continued to rise in the ER, eventually hitting something over 132, which sets all sorts of alarms off!

The gave me benadryl (an antihistamine) via IV and it seemed to work as I regained movement in my tongue and neck, then hands and feet and by the time I was admitted to the ward I could move pretty well, though not with full range of motion or strength.

My MRI scan was clear, which I presume means no lasting damage, currently reading, writing, knitting etc are all challenges, so I'll say goodnight.

1 comment:

sharalyns said...

Oh my goodness! I hope you make a full and complete recovery--how scary!

It reminded me of when I was on mag sulfate (for preeclampsia), and the levels became too high for me. Breathing was difficult. Thankfully, they were able to turn it off and give me O2 support and within a couple of hours I was better.