Wednesday, October 7, 2009

birthdays

I was 30 on Monday, I was not very impressed by being 30, however it did turn out to be a good day. On Sunday night I had decided (or rather prodded by God) that I should start getting up at 6, so I could read the bible and pray, so my 30th birthday began with the beeps of my alarm clock, taking my medication, putting my dressing gown on and creeping downstairs with a pile of books.

Very quickly Andrew appeared, bearing a gift bag (actually it was a shopping bag from a shop that I'd bought some gift bags from...), I have to confess that I was a little disappointed when I found my present was about the size of a 100g bar of chocolate, though by feel I could tell it wasn't that. It turned out to be a leather bound copy of "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers, which I'd forgotten I'd even asked for. I was gracious, I hope, and said thank you. It's a book which has a verse and devotional for every day of the year, so each morning, I've read the day, it's now been 3 mornings and today I thanked Andrew from the bottom of my heart, for the best earthly gift I've ever received.

With Andrew's mum here, I was really able to take the day for myself, I had a shiatsu massage and acne facial at the proclub and enjoyed doing some sewing in the afternoon. For the evening, Andrew had arranged dinner for us and 2 other couples and possibly my former dance partner, just as we were leaving he texted to say he could make it, which I was pleased about, though a little nervous about the dynamic. It was gift enough for them to be there, but the two couples who were there both gave me gifts, which I'm looking forward to digging into, one was a book of cartoons, the other a recipe book. I'm very touched that everyone came expecting to pay for themselves, joined in fully, enjoying drinks and desserts, but that my wonderful, generous husband wanted to bless them and thank them by footing the bill.

Today it's Andrew's birthday, not quite so special as he is turning 29, I found it very easy for once to know what to give to him, as after a trip to the gym recently where his carrier bag split, he dropped his t-shirt in a puddle and lost a trainer under the car seat, it was obvious that a gym bag and other items were something he needed. Bags were on a very good sale at the store yesterday and I also got him moisture wicking t-shirt and shorts and some sports socks and prayed he wouldn't find this gift too cheeky or critical, thankfully, he seemed pleased! We will celebrate his birthday by taking the children for a swim, then eating dinner at the bistro probably in their pajamas. The card I got him had two giraffes kissing, which is kind of a private joke between us after a story my grandad had told us about first meeting my gran.

No comments: