Friday, September 4, 2009

tools required

Every craft needs it's own tools, the key things for bobbin lace are a pillow, bobbins, thread and pins. I've plenty of thread I can experiment with, I've noticed my breastfeeding pillow has the firm finish required of a pillow, I've plenty of pins too, even if they aren't the ideal ones, but bobbins are stumping me, they aren't something I can go out and buy, I'd have to order online, but as this is something I just want to try, not necessarily take up as a life long hobby, I don't want to do that, so I'm googling to see if I can find any hints on homemade bobbins!

3 comments:

sharalyns said...

I'm assuming Lace Bobbins are different from sewing machine bobbins? Cause those can be found at JoAnn's.

betsy said...

There are directions for making paper bobbins, though ordering an inexpensive plastic set would be easier.

http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/paperbobbin/paperbobbin.html

--Betsy

mumprime said...

yep, lace bobbins are not sewing machine bobbins!

I'll look at that site Betsy, but I already managed to make some with wooden skewers and some beads.