Wednesday, February 25, 2009

root canal tomorrow

I'm scheduled for 9.15. I'm feeling rather anxious about this. It's about 15 years since I've been numbed up for dental treatment and I don't have good memories of it. I've had mixed experiences with local anesthetics, some that haven't worked, some that have been very painful to insert and others when theoretically it may have worked but whatever was being done caused enough non painful sensations to still be very unpleasant. I'm also concerned about them actually being able to get to the back of my mouth, which can be tricky as my mouth is small with quite a tight opening. I also have quite a strong gag reflex. My mum got a root canal not long ago and unintentionally bit the dentist, so she had to be sedated, but being pregnant I'm not sure that is an option.

Dental health is linked to pregnancy outcomes, which I think is one of the reasons dental treatment is free in pregnancy and for a year afterwards in the UK. I've no idea if this tooth is currently infected, but it must be quite vulnerable given the amount that is missing. Amazingly it has barely caused any pain, but in the past couple of weeks I've had some moments of very intense pain when I've drunk very cold water, so it does seem to be deteriorating. Getting to the point of accepting this does need to be done and I'll have to go through with it has been hard, I'm not sure how I'll feel if we don't actually manage to get it done tomorrow.

No comments: