Sunday, January 11, 2009

Dancing dress

 


I've been trying to learn how to sew with stretchy fabric, with the idea that one day I might actually be able to make a ballgown. I decided I'd try with something small, with the theory that it would take less fabric. I didn't really think about the fiddly aspect though!

Banana Girl's interest in dancing (though she doesn't take lessons) made it an easy choice to decide to surprise her with fabric and the promise of making a dress, however the only suitable patterns I could find were at the best small adult, so I had to draft my own pattern, based on an adult size pattern for a skating dress. The neckline and armholes were basically a complete redraft, so it took some careful measureing to be sure I resized the arm correctly, which amazingly I did. I'm not sure if you can tell, but I've not hemmed the arms as they are so small I'm not sure how I'd manage to do it and manage to maintain the stretch, I can managed each, but not at the same time! I've also not hemmed the bottom of the skirt, I've plenty of dresses with unhemmed skirts in this type of fabric and it would have been very time consuming as the skirt is two full circles. I really need to use some of the scraps to practice hemming stretch fabric though.

I have a really nice pair of dance pants that have a fold over waist, which I'm finding really comfortable for pregnancy. I have plenty of casual trousers that are not feeling at all comfortable, I've taken to wearing old sports trousers as pajamas, but that's not going to work much longer, so I'm wondering if I should try making some myself, using the ones I have as a pattern, I'd probably have to cut the front a fraction lower to give them a good chance of lasting through pregnancy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: