Sunday, November 30, 2008

Wheat free pastry (=mince pies)

I spotted some wheat free all purpose baking flour in the supermarket at a fairly crazy price, but decided I had to try it. When I got it home and actually read the packet it suggested xanthan gum be used in certain quantities as a binder, which I didn't have. I figured I'd give it a try anyway and used a supremely simple recipe containing flour, icing sugar, butter and a bit of water. I was impressed, no complaints about the pastry at all and our lunch guests who had never experienced the British tradition of mince pies seemed to enjoy them. The pastry was on the flaky side, but no more so than many mince pies are and it was pretty light. Next time I will try another recipe that takes a little more time, it has an egg in it, so the binding thing might be less of a problem.

No comments: