Wednesday, November 19, 2008

One sixth!

If I got my calculations right, it's 6 weeks since we found out I was expecting, which assuming 36 weeks of pregnancy means we are 1/6 of the way there, which is a pretty good number in my book! It's also potentially getting closer to when sickness and exhaustion might relent a little bit.

I'm coming to the conclusion that a little bit of caffeine may well be better for me than trying to avoid it completely. Not that I was trying to avoid it completely, but as tea was making me sick, I've cut out that (very wierd as tea was my lifeline in both my other pregnancies). I'm not a regular coffee drinker anyway, though it's not making me sick this time. My other caffeine source was an almost daily can of coke, not great and I was already working on cutting down and was at roughly every other day.

A recent article on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7705319.stm was urging pregnant mothers to cut down on caffeine, this is a tough one for me as the problem it causes, low birth weight, happened with Sausage Boy and it's hard for me to rationalise whether I did anything to cause that, or was it just random.

Before I got pregnant, I'd bought a supplement that contains berry extracts and caffine, so it's supposed to give you energy and when I tried it I found it did help. I decided last night that I'd take it this morning and I've gone from the typical dead on my feet feeling to ready to face the day. I don't want to do this every day, but I think it's going to be better on balance for the whole family if I take it at least some days.

No comments: